Herreshoff S-Class Enterprise Restoration

This past fall and winter we have been working away doing a full restoration on an early Herreshoff S-class. The boat has been sitting on the hard in Marblehead for about 20 years after being damaged in a yard fire. Some restoration work had been started under the previous owner, but our hope is to get her back as close to her original shape as possible for racing in the Narragansett fleet. With this goal and an almost 100 year old boat almost all of the hull will need to be replaced. Below are some photos of our progress thus far.

previous restoration work was holding in a lot of deformity in the hull from decades of sitting on poppets and sagging sheer.
previous restoration work was holding in a lot of deformity in the hull from decades of sitting on poppets and sagging sheer.
as we got the restoration started the remaining interior was removed to be refinished and hopefully replaced.
as we got the restoration started the remaining interior was removed to be refinished and hopefully replaced.
Some older plaking was still in place, but it is so old that it has become very brittle and weak so it will not be re-used after the restoration.
Some older plaking was still in place, but it is so old that it has become very brittle and weak so it will not be re-used after the restoration.
Aft view of the hull before restoration. Showing some old material and some from a previously started restoration.
Aft view of the hull before restoration. Showing some old material and some from a previously started restoration.
Using measurments taken from the original NGH half model we lofted the boat full size to use as our ultimate shape, trying to take into consideration changes made before this boat might have been built.
Using measurments taken from the original NGH half model we lofted the boat full size to use as our ultimate shape, trying to take into consideration changes made before this boat might have been built.
a mold was made to the inside of all the even franes to dictate the shape as the restoration comneced.
a mold was made to the inside of all the even franes to dictate the shape as the restoration comneced.
Herreshoff specified tapered frames, lowering the boat's weight where he could.
Herreshoff specified tapered frames, lowering the boat’s weight where he could.
Floor timbers were made from templates lifted straight from the lofting
Floor timbers were made from templates lifted straight from the lofting
The molds were inserted into the hull with frames and floor timbers attached
The molds were inserted into the hull with frames and floor timbers attached
With molds in the existing planking was doubled up to be used as ribbands as the odd frames were bent in.
With molds in the existing planking was doubled up to be used as ribbands as the odd frames were bent in.
The transom frame was build up of a few peices carved and steambent to the correct camber.
The transom frame was build up of a few peices carved and steambent to the correct camber.
Transom knee and stem were found in a single oak knee.
Transom knee and stem were found in a single oak knee.
With the frames and floors installed the hull was separated from the balast keel and deadwood.
With the frames and floors installed the hull was separated from the balast keel and deadwood.
The lead balast and deadwood were wedged open to expose the keel bolts which were cut to separate the hull.
The lead balast and deadwood were wedged open to expose the keel bolts which were cut to separate the hull.
With the ballast removed a ladder frame was built level under the hull to serve as a strong back for the restoration of the hull
With the mast on the bench, the ballast and deadwood away from the hull, and the hull on the strong-back, all major components of the restoration can be worked on simultaneously.

The full length keel was steamed in a bag for 2 hours before being bent on to the building plug.
The full length keel was steamed in a bag for 2 hours before being bent on to the building plug.
Once clamped down and cooled the keel was fitted to the upper deadwood and oak backer as well as bolted to the floor timbers.
Once clamped down and cooled the keel was fitted to the upper deadwood and oak backer as well as bolted to the floor timbers.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *